1. Heat oven to 375°F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet then stir in the chopped eggplant and a half cup of water. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper and cook 10 to 12 minutes, until tender.
3. Transfer cooked eggplant to a food processor and pulse a few times.
4. Place eggplant into a bowl and mix in garlic, chopped basil, breadcrumbs, egg, Romano cheese and parsley. Season with salt and pepper as necessary.
5. Form mixture into 24 balls, rolling tightly and placing on prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until firm and browned.
6. Heat tomato sauce, add cooked eggplant-balls and simmer for 5 minutes. Garnish the dish with fresh basil leaves and serve.